Many Morris events take place on or around May Day (which is, of course, the 1st of May regardless of the date of the May Day bank holiday Monday ). These are the events we are aware of - if yours is not included please contact the webeditor [at] themorrisring.org (webeditor)
Before May Day:
- Adderbury Morris Day of Dance : Normally on the Saturday closest to April 26th
(which happens to be the birthday of Janet Heatley Blunt). Advisable to check their website for the date.
- Lord Conyers MM : April 30th / May 1st - Trysting Tree, Kiveton,Todwick, South Yorkshire. - Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance at dusk on 30th April (May eve) and Cotswold Morris on 1st May at dawn (5:30am). See link for Trysting Tree details
May Day Itself - 1st May:
- Aldbury MM : May 1st - The Pond, Aldbury, 6:15 am
- Ashdown Forest MM : May 1st - Gill's Gap (site of the E.H. Shepard & A.A. Milne Memorial), Ashdown Forest (dawn 5:30amish), followed by a tour of local schools - check their website for tour details. The day ends at 7:30pm at
The Farmers, Scaynes Hill RH17 7NE with Shalesbrook Morris
- Bathampton MM : May 1st - 7:30pm Bathampton The School & John Nutt's Seat BA2 6TQ; 8:15pm Monkton Combe The Wheelwright's Arms BA2 7HB; 9pm Southstoke The Packhorse BA2 7DU
- Bedford MM : May 1st - Ickwell Green Maypole, SG18 9EE, 6:30 am, with Letchworth MM and Offley MM
- Bourne River MM : May 1st - 5:15 am The Cross Keys Inn, Mannington, BH21 7JZ. Morris, beer and breakfast, followed by music and song.
- Brackley MM : May 1st - 5:30 am Market Place
- Bristol MM : May 1st - 5:42 am St Peter's Church, Castle Green , Bristol - sunrise
- Buckland Shag MM : May 1st - Buckland Pond, Buckland, Dawn
- Cam Valley MM : May 1st - 5:20 am Beltane Celebrations, Glastonbury Tor,
- Chanctonbury Ring MM : May 1st - Chanctonbury Ring, South Downs, 7:00 am. Meet 6:45am at the car park at BN44 3DN in time for the top - or meet there. See website for details of the following breakfast and tour.
- Chapel-en-le-Frith MM - : May 1st - Dancing up the Sun on Eccles Pike, 5:30am - 6:30am
- Chipping Campden MM: May 1st - Chipping Campden Town Square, 7:00 am for Morris and Maypole dancing. Then a tour of South Warwickshire locations with Pebworth, Ilmington and Shakespeare Morris.
- Dartington MM : May 1st - 5:30 am Totnes Castle
- Datchet Border Morris : May 1st - dancing at sunrise (5:30 am) at Magna Carta Tea Room in historic Runnymede from 5:00am, whatever the weather.
- Devil's Dyke MM : May 1st - Wandlebury Country Park, 5:30 am
- East Suffolk MM : May 1st - Felixstowe Beacon 5:25am (Sunrise)
- Ewell St Mary's MM : May 1st - Dancing the Sun up on the road by the Lookout, Box Hill, Surrey, KT20 7LB and breakfast at The Wheatsheaf, Kingston Road, Ewell KT17 2 am 6:00 am - 8:00 am.Tunes… songs … a pint or two … and a full English, as guests of Kingston Morris
- Foresters Morris & Sword Dance Club : May 1st - Nottingham Castle by the Robin Hood Statue with Greenwood Step Clog, 5:20 am
- Forest of Dean MM : May 1st - May Hill, 5:25 am with other local sides.
- Gloucester MM: May 1st - Painswick Beacon, 5:30 am - 6:30am with our friends, the lasses of the Stroud Morris Dancers, Miserden Morris and the Girls of Boss Morris
- Greensleeves MM : May 1st - Sunrise Show at the Windmill, Wimbledon Common, SW19 5NT, 5:30 am
- Hartley MM : May 1st - The Beltane Tour -05.30 am - The Coldrum Stones, Trottiscliffe; 9.10am - Dance in the playground of St George's school; 9.45am - Board the coach for a trip to Bodiam; 12.32pm - Steam train arrives at Tenterden from Bodiam. Dancing at the station; 1.00pm - We walk up to the town and do a few dances on the High Street.; 1.40pm - We adjourn to the Ancient Boro' for lunch (https://www.thisancientboro.com); 3.00pm - Dancing at the Station and catching the train to Bodiam.
- Icknield Way MM : May 1st - 6:00 am - Oxford City centre; 11:30 am Charlton Primary School, Wantage Charlton Village Road Charlton Wantage OX12 7HG; 12:30pm - 2:30pm, The King Alfred's Head, 31 Market Place, Wantage OX12 8AH
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : May 1st - dancing at dawn 5:30 am (approx.) on Ilmington Downs at Larkstoke; the highest point in Warwickshire 842 feet amsl (52 04.88N 001 43.69W). 0600am Bennett’s Place in memory of Mrs Ethel Bennett and for Mrs Jean Hall; 6:25 am The Lower Green in memory of Fred and Molly Paintin then Refreshments for The Morris At The Howard Arms; 7:15am Washbrook Place in memory of George & Lucy Frost Featherbed Lane; 7:30 am “The Old Fox House” in memory of Sam Bennett; Sam’s old house; 8:00 am “Berry View”, Back Street for Betty and in memory of John Bryan one time home of Tom Foster –Pipe & Taborer; 8:15 am Lower Campden Hill in memory of Mike Vincent; :30am The Howard Arms For Breakfast.
- In the evening: 6:30pm The Red Lion Inn – Dance in The Landlords – Andy & Dee; 7:00pm The Village Hall – a welcome to the concert; 7.30pm ‘Through The Seasons Concert’ (TOUR LAUNCH) With Will Pound, Benji Kirkpatrick & Ross Grant Ilmington Village Hall – tickets £15 (£17 on the door).
- Jockey MM : May 1st - Beacon Hill, Lickey Hills Country Park, 5:20 am - 6:00 am
- King John's MM : May 1st - The Bargate High St, Southampton SO14 2DJ, 5:00am – 6:00am with Red Stags Morris
- Leicester MM : May 1st - 7:00 am Old John in Bradgate Park. LE12 8SS; 7.45 pm Knighton Corner, Leicester. LE2 3JP; 8:30p m The Ale Wagon, 27 Rutland St, Leicester. LE1 1RE
- Leominster Morris : May 1st - Bache Camp, Kimbolton, 5.15 am
- London Pride MM : May 1st - Primrose Hill, Regents Park London 5:30 am.
- Long Man MM : May 1st - at the foot of the Long Man of Wilmington BN26 5Q, 5:30 am
- Men of Sweyn's Ey : May 1st - dancing the sun up at King Arthur's Stone, Cefn Bryn, Gower SA3 1AE then breakfast at The King Arthur, Reynoldston
- Mersey MM : May 1st - Dawn at The Observatory, Bidston Hill, 5:0 0am - 5:45am
- Men of Wight Morris Men : May 1st - Longstone, Mottistone, PO30 4EB, 5:00 am - 6:30am
- North Wood MM : May 1st - Crown Hill, Croydon, 5:45am and Queens Gardens, Fell Road, Croydon, 6:45 am
- Oxford : May 1st - A Mayday carol from Magdelen College tower and massed dancing around the town center for the remainder of the morning, from 6:00am
- Packington MM : May 1st - Breedon Hill, Leicestershire, 5:30am and Bull and Lion, Packington
- Peterborough MM : May 1st - Customs House, Nene Embankment, near Peterborough Town Bridge, PE1 1EG, 5:20 am
- Plymouth Morris : May 1st - The Hoe Promenade, above Smeaton's Tower, Plymouth Hoe, 5:00 am
- Ravensbourne MM : May 1st - The Geoff Metcalf Tour - 5:32am Welcome the Sunrise at Caesar’s Well, Keston Ponds, followed by a tour of Keston Village. After that we please
ourselves as to where we go.(More info on www.ravensbourne.org)
- Ripley MM - May 1st - Morning tour of local schools; 7.30pm Horse and Jockey Selston NG16 6FE
- Rose and Castle Morris: 7:30 pm The Robin Hood, Clifton Reynes
- Rutland MM : May 1st - Uppingham Market Place, 5:00 am; followed by The Vaults for a well earned breakfast.
- Shakespeare Morris : May 1st - 5:30 am dancing up the sun on the Bancroft gardens next to the Avon then dance around the town calling at Shakespeare's Birthplace, Shakespeare's New Place and Holy Trinity, Stratford's parish church before breakfasting in a hotel in the town centre.
- Southport Swords : May 1st - Dancing at dawn in Southport town centre outside The Atkinson. (Approx 05-30)
- Spring Grove MM : May 1st - Dancing the Sun up on the road by the Salomons viewpoint Box Hill, Surrey, KT20 7LB, 5:35am – 6:35am with other guest sides
- Towersey Morris : May 1st - Towersey Crossroads, OX39 3QY, 5:30am. The Three Horseshoes for breakfast (please book in advance - call 01844 212322 and pay for yourself ! )
- Uttoxeter Heart of Oak MM : 7:00 pm – 10:00pm Horse & Dove 21 Market Pl, Uttoxeter ST14 8HY, UK
- Victory MM : May 1st - The Spur Redoubt,PO1 2TJ, 5:15am followed by The Point, Old Portsmouth
- Wessex MM : May 1st - dancing above the Cerne Abbas Giant at dawn (5.15am), then on to Cerne Abbas Village Square, 7:00am Please, please keep off The Giant!
- White Rose MM : May 1st - Meet at the Victoria Tower, Castle Hill, 5:15am
- Whitchurch MM : 6.30 am on the top of Coombe Hill by the Monument then after breakfast we will be dancing at:- 8:45 The Hampden Arms, Great Hampden HP16 9RQ; 10:00 am Worlds End Garden Centre, Wendover HP22 6BD; 1:30 pm The Half Moon, Wilstone HP23 4PD; 2:15 Pitstone Green Farm Museum, Pitstone LU7 9EY
- Woodside MM : May 1st - Cassdiobury Park (where the paths meet near the bridges), Watford, 5:00 am
- Wyvern Jubilee MM : May 1st - Ham Hill, South Somerset, 4:45am !!!
- Yateley MM : May 1st, - Wyndhams Pool, Cricket Hill,Yateley, 5:30am - 6:30am
- Hastings Traditional Jack In The Green : All weekend with Jack in the Green's appearance and procession on the Bank Holiday Monday. Check programme for details.
- Knutsford Royal May Day : 1st Saturday in May - Knutsford, Cheshire Annual May Queen procession through Knutsford since 1864. Manchester MM have danced in the procession since 1979, and Leyland MM since 1968; morris teams have been a part of the procession since 1878.
May Bank Holiday Monday 6th May
- Abingdon Traditional Morris Dancers : Greyhound, Besslesleigh May Bank Holiday Festivities 2:00 pm [tbc]
- Aldbury MM : 12:30pm The Greyhound Aldbury May Fair
- Bathampton MM : May Afternoon of Dance Bath 3:00 pm Parade Gardens (with Mr. Wilkin's Shilling and Tatters and Tails) BA2 4DF
- Chalice MM : 12:30pm Bleadon May Fair BS24 0PG
- Devil's Dyke MM : 11:00 – 11:30 am Commercial End, The Royal Oak; CB25 0NF; 1:00 pm Reach Fair CB25 0JD
- Kennet MM : 10:30 Goring Heath Almshouses; 11:30 am Goring Lock; 1:00 pm South Stoke May Fair
- Men of Sweyn's Ey : morris and maypole dancing from 2:00 pm on Murton Village Green, Gower
- Leominster Morris : Clun Green Man Festival, Shropshire
- Long Man MM : Lewes Garland Day hosted by Knots of May 10:00 am Lewes Castle Gun Gardens ; Procession down the High Street to Cliffe, then dancing in Cliffe High Street 11:00 am; The John Harvey Tavern 12:15 pm; The Dorset 1:15pm followed by 2:00 - 3:00 pm at The Market Cross, Market Square, Alfriston
- Yateley MM : 11:00 am – 1:00 pm Yateley May Fair, The Green, Reading Rd, Yateley, GU46 7LR; 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm Crowthorne may Fair Morgan Recreation Ground, Lower Broadmoor Rd, Crowthorne RG45 7LA
- Rose and Castle Morris :1.00 pm onwards Irthlingborough May FeteVillage Green, Irthlingborough
And in the Days following:
- Westminster MM : Saturday nearest May 12th - Day of Dance around Westminster, with Massed Shows in Trafalgar Square at noon and 5.00pm.
- Moulton MM : Saturday, one whole week before the Saturday of Spring Bank Holiday i.e. between 16/22 May. Moulton Village Festival - May Queen Ceremony, Childrens' Bowers and Maycart Procession, Moulton, 10:00am to 3:30pm
The links given below will take you to more detailed desciptions of some of the other seasonal events.
|Events Home||January||Easter||St. George's Day||Whitsun||Summer||Christmas|