This is the time-of-year for many Guisers and Mumming Plays. Tracking the many performances is difficult ... search the Master Mummers performance index. Sword Dancers are also out in force <Sword Dance Union dates>
November, December, Christmas
- Greensleeves MM : 2nd Saturday in November. London - Dancing before and after the Lord Mayor's procession - see their website for details of times & locations.
- Bedford MM : Wednesday, December 18 - Bedford town centre Border Morris Dancing Christmas Tour - 7.30 pm Brewhouse & Kitchen, High St; 8.15 pm George & Dragon, Mill St; 8.45 pm Three Cups, Newnham St; 9.15 pm The Castle, Newnham St; 10.00 pm Wellington Arms, Wellington St
- East Suffolk MM : Saturday before Christmas. Dancing in Ipswich, starting at the Salutation at 11:00 am. Their annual "Border" tour - as it's been held for over 35 years it qualifies as traditional!
- Kennet MM : Last Monday before Christmas. Kennet Karols from 8.30 pm 'til late, The Bell and Bottle, Shinfield Green RG2 9EE - 50 traditional carols led by The Kennettes - festive hats optional.
- Adlington Morris Men and Mummers : Friday 22nd December – Macclesfield Treacle Market 12 noon - 5:00 pm ending with a music session in the Waters Green Tavern followed by the Alderley Mummers Play, Stockport tour- 7:30 pm The Railway, 1 Avenue Street, Portwood, SK1 2BZ; 8:30 pm The Hope Inn, 118 Wellington Road North, Stockport, SK4 2LL; 9:15 pm The Magnet, 51 Wellington Road North, Stockport SK4 1HJ; 10:00 pm The Crown Inn, 154 Heaton Lane, Stockport, SK4 1AR
Lord Conyers MM : Last Saturday before Christmas. Christmas Wassail from 2:00 pm, performing dances from their Border and Pershore repertoire, their own Yorkshire Longsword and Rapper dances before singing local Sheffield carols inside at Wales Jubilee Sports and Social Club, S26 5QG,and then moving to the site of Robin Hood's Trysting Tree in Todwick to perform the Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance at dusk (4:00 pm approx)..
- Original Welsh Border Morris : Last Saturday before Christmas. Coach Tour of Worcestershire - Fox Inn, Wichenford, WR2 6NX arrive 08:00 depart 9:00 am; White Ladies Aston arrive 9:30 am depart 10:15 am; Pershore arrive 10:30 am depart 12 noon; Upton-upon-Severn arrive 12:30 pm depart 1:15 pm; The Three Kings Hanley Castle Arrive 1:30 pm depart 2:30 pm; Worcester arrive 3:00 pm depart 4:45 pm; Fox Inn, Wichenford arrive 5:15 pm - All timings very approximate!
- Taunton Deane MM : Saturday 14th December - Border Day - Walking Tour of Taunton Town Centre 10:30 am onwards.
Boxing Day - St Stephen's Day - Thursday 26th December
- Ashdown Forest MM : 1:00 pm, The Hatch Inn, Colemans Hatch, TN7 4EJ
- Bedford MM : 10.45am Bedford Embankment - dancing; 11:30 am, Bedford Swan Hotel - dancing followed by the Boar’s Head Ceremony 12 noon and singing the ancient carol for the town's annual procession of the Boar's Head
- Blackheath MM : 12:30 pm, Princess of Wales on Blackheath; 1:30 pm, The Crown, Blackheath Village; 3:00pm, The Hare & Billet, Blackheath. (to be confirmed)
- Brackley MM : Boxing Day Tour. 11:00 am Blackbird Croughton; 12 noon Brackley Market Place 1.00 pm Stratton Arms Turweston
- Bristol MM : Keynsham Mummers Play - 11.00 am, St John's church Keynsham; 11:30 am Keynsham Library Riverside,Temple Street (Opposite Keynsham Leisure CentreThe New Inn, 12 noon. [The picture on the right shows Keynsham's St George].
- Chanctonbury Ring MM : We’re sticking with last year's changes as it all worked well, so we begin at THE FARMERS at 17 South St, Lancing BN15 8AE. We’ll start dancing at 11:00 am, followed by our Mummers’ Play, before leaving for our Steyning performance at The White Horse, 23 High Street, Steyning BN44 3YE from 12.30 pm.
- Colchester MM : 12:30 pm The Chequers, Great Tey for mulled wine, mince pies ... and morris
- Coventry MM : 12 noon, Boxing Day Tour Kenilworth Castle
- Dartington MM : 12 noon 'til 1:00 pm, Totnes (the Plains opposite Royal Seven Stars)
- Datchet Border Morris : 10:40 am, Datchet Green, SL3 9EH, including The Mummers Play and Sword dance (longsword or rapper and after in The Red Stag)
- East Suffolk MM : 12 noon, The Sailing Club, Pin Mill, Ipswich IP9 1JP
- East Surrey MM - 12 noon - 12:30 pm The Fox, Coulsdon Common CR3 5QS; 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm The Harrow 235 Stanstead Road Caterham CR3 6AJ; 2:00 pm - 2:30 pm The Hare and Hounds, Godstone RH9 8LN
- Ewell St. Mary's MM : 12 noon, The Famous Green Man; 12:30 pm, opposite The Star; 1:00 pm, The Watch House, Church Street; 1:30 pm, The Spring Tavern; 2:00 pm, The Wheatsheaf, followed by the traditional mid-winter mummers’ play in the yard of the Upper Mill.
- Faithful City MM - 12:30 pm - The Talbot, Knightwick
- Flamborough Sword Dancers : Flamborough, Yorkshire (or is it Humberside?) starting at the Rose & Crown in the High Street and ending at the Royal Dog & Duck. The Dancers are also supporting the relatively new charity fundraiser, the Flamborough Boxing Day Dip so you can catch them before their regular tour, at South Landing from 10.45 am with the Dip at 11:00 am.
- Foresters MM - 11:00 am Bottesford duck race. Seven hundred numbered plastic ducks will be dropped into the River Devon, at Washdyke Bridge near Station Road and Grantham Road (old A52), Bottesford NG13. They will travel to the finishing line near St Marys Church, off Rectory Lane
- Golden Star Morris : 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm The Wig N Pen 6 St Martins Palace Plain, NR3 1RN Norwich, Norfolk
- Greensleeves MM : 12.15 pm Opposite the Rose and Crown, Wimbledon Village SW19 5BA; 1:15 pm The Hand in Hand and The Crooked Billet, Wimbledon Common SW19 4RQ.
- Grimsby MM : 11:45 pm The Wellow, King's Road, Cleethorpes; 12:20 pm The Punchbowl, North Promenade, Cleethorpes; 12.50 pm The No. 2 Refreshment Room (Under the Clock),Cleethorpes Railway Station;
1:30 pm Willy's Pub / Brighton Slipway, Cleethorpes; 2:00 pm Jonny Donuts, Cleethorpes; 2:45 pm The Nottingham House Hotel , Seaview Street, Cleethorpes - usually followed by music and singing
- Handsworth Traditional Sword Dancers : 11:15 am at Market Square, Woodhouse, S13 7JX. (Next to Cross Street); 12 noon at Handsworth in front of St. Mary's Church, S13 9BZ.
- Harthill MM : 11:00 am, The Bluebell, 4 Woodall Ln, Harthill, S26 7YQ; 12 noon, The Beehive, Harthill, 16 Union St, Harthill, S26 7YH.
- Hartley MM :12 noon,The Black Horse, Stansted TN15 7PR; 1.15 pm The Rose and Crown, Wrotham TN15 7AE - We will be dancing and performing the Firle Mummers Play.
- Headington Quarry Morris Dancers : Their traditional Mummers Play with Rapper Sword Dancing and Hand Bell Ringing at the following public houses within the Quarry Parish: 11:15 am Crown & Thistle, 12:15 pm Six Bells,1:00 pm Chequers and 1:45 pm Masons Arms
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : The side perform the traditional village Mummers play on tour starting in Shipston-on-Stour, traditionally visiting the sheltered homes for the elderly, then continuing to The Howard Arms,Ilmington at 1:00 pm and The Red Lion, Ilmington, at 2:00 pm (timings may vary).
- Kemp's Men of Norwich : 12 noon,The Banningham Crown, Banningham NR1 7DY - dancing and Mummers' Play
- King John's MM : from 12 noon, The Vine Inn, High Street, Old Bursledon SO31 8DJ - Border Morris and Mummers’ Play
- Leicester MM : 12 noon – 2.00 pm as Red Leicester Border - Swithland Boxing Day at The Griffin Inn, Main Street, Swithland LE12 8TJ (Including a performance of the Sproxton Wooing Play)
- Letchworth MM : 12:30 pm The Fox, Willian; 1:30 pm Three Horseshoes, Willian. There's also a music session at The Three Horseshoes afterwards to allow the dancers to re-hydrate with a couple of beers.
- Leominster Morris : circa 12 noon - Mummers Play & dancing at The The Barrels, 69 St Owen's St, Hereford HR1 2JQ
- Long Man MM : 10:15 am - 11:00 am The Bandstand, Eastbourne Seafront. Collecting for Eastbourne RNLI
- Manchester MM : from 12 noon dancing outside The Fox public house, Brookbottom, near New Mills SK22 3AY, followed by carols inside.
- Martlet Sword & MM : 11:30 am - 12:30 pm East St, Chichester PO19 1HH
- Mendip MM : 12 noon, The Plough Inn, High St, Wrington, BS40 5QA; 1:00 pm - The Plough Inn, High St, Congresbury, BS49 5JA
- Mersey MM : from 11:00 am, Boxing Day Revels, Willaston Village Green
- Moulton MM : Boxing Day Bonanza - 11:00 am to Noon Cardigan Arms on Stocks Hill, Moulton, Northamptonshire NN3 7TB. Local Mummers Play and Morris Dancing.
- North Wood MM : 12.45 pm, The Harrow Inn 309 Farleigh Road, Warlingham,CR6 9EL
- Plymouth MM : 12 noon at the Brook Inn, Plympton PL7 1ND with Guests The Plymouth Maids
- Ravensbourne MM : 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm, The Greyhound, Commonside Keston BR2 6BP - 56 years and counting!
- Redcar Sword Dancers : 12 noon at Greatham, Hospital Gates, near Hartlepool, Co Durham, Sword Dance and Play. A unique event, this could be the only example of a longsword dance and its play still being performed together. The Hope and Anchor, their ‘watering hole’ and venue of the popular post dance singaround, has reopened !
- Richmond On Swale MM : annual Boxing Day tour in to Richmond, starting from 11:00 am at the Stanwick Inn (the pub is closed but there will be refreshments available) in Aldbrough St John; 12 noon The Station; 1:00 pm Market Place
- Ripley M : 11:00 am, Ripley Market Place;12.15 pm The Moulders Arms (Thack) at Riddings at and at The Kings Arms, Crich at 1.15 pm.
- Rutland MM : 10:30 am, (to dance at 11:00 am) Horse & Jockey, Manton;12 noon, Uppingham Market Square; 1:00 pm, Crown, Uppingham
- Silurian MM : Annual Tour starting at Ledbury Market House at 11:00 am, followed by dance spots at British Camp at 12 noon, The Morgan Pub in Malvern at 1:00 pm (tbc) and The Three Kings pub at Hanley Castle at 2:00 pm usually followed by a music session TBC
- Spen Valley Longsword Dancers : traditional tour of some of the pubs in Spen Valley to perform the dances and to sing a few songs; (1:00 pm, Wickham Arms, Cleckheaton; 2:00 pm, Spen Victoria Cricket Club, Spen Lane, Gomersal - this year's tour venues TBC)
- Thameside Mummers :Tuesday 24th! Boxing Day at The Billet! 1:00 pm on the waterfront outside The Crooked Billet, Leigh on Sea, Essex SS9 2EP. The performance of their annual Christmas Play has been a much watched event for more than 40 years. Followed by a singaround in the pub.
- Thames Valley MM : 11:30 am Platform 3 (in The Parade, KT10 0PB); 12:15 pm The Foley (Hare Lane, KT10 0LZ);1.00 pm, The Hare & Hounds (The Green, KT10 0JL); 1.45 pm The Winning Horse (Coverts Road, KT10 0JY); from 2.15 p.m The Griffin (Common Road, KT10 0HW)
- Thaxted MM : 11:00 am, Church Hall, including country dancing for all; 12:00, dancing in the Churchyard followed by songs and music in The Swan; 3:00 pm Dancing at the Maypole.
- Towersey Morris : Dancing at 12 noon, Three Horseshoes, Towersey; Mummers play at 1.00 pm
- Uttoxeter Heart of Oak Morris : 12 noon Uttoxeter market place to dance and present a small play - and perhaps a pint after
- Wantage Mummers: 10:00 am - 10:30 am Faringdon Market Place, Faringdon Oxfordshire SN7 7HP; 12 noon - 12:30 pm The Bear Hotel, Wantage Oxfordshire; 1:15 pm Childrey Village Hall, High Street, Childrey OX12 9UE . There is always a session in Childrey after the last performance, Although the pub in Childrey has now closed the villagers are determined to do all they can to keep up the tradition, albeit in the village hall.
- Wantsum MM : 11:00 am, Powell Arms Birchington; 12 noon The Bell Inn St Nicholas at Wade; 1:00 pm The Gate Inn Marshside; 2:00 pm The Crown Inn (The Old Cherry Brandy House) Sarre
- Wath-on-Dearne MM : 11:00 am Dancing outside Wentworth Post Office; 11:30 am Carols in The Rockingham Arms; 12:30 pm Dancing outside The Rockingham Arms; 12:50 pm Dancing and mummers plays outside The George and Dragon; 2:00 pm Dancing outside The Edmunds Arms, Worsbrough followed by mummers play inside
- Wessex MM : 12 noon, Mumming and Morris in Cerne Abbas Village Square DT2 7JG
- West Somerset MM : 11:00 am Dunster Yarn Market TA24 6SF
- Whitchurch Morris : 12 noon The Red Lion, Little Missenden HP7 0RB
- Woodside MM : 12:30 pm, The Cricketers, Sarratt Green,WD3 6AS
- Yateley MM : 12 noon, The Queens Oak, Church Lane, Finchampstead, Wokingham RG40 4LS; 1:00 pm Dog & Partridge in Yateley GU46 7LR with Yateley Village Mummers
Friday - December 27th
- Adlington MM and Mummers : Alderley Mummers Play, Bollington tour - 7:30 pm The Vale Inn, 29-31 Adlington Road, Bollington, SK10 5JT; 8:30 pm The Poachers Inn, 95 Ingersley Road, Bollington, SK10 5RE;
9:15 pm The Church House, Church St, Bollington, SK10 5PY; 10:00 pm The Cotton Tree, Ingersley Rd, Bollington, SK10 5RE
Saturday - December 28th
- Saddleworth MM : The Annual Lordsmere Longsword finale - 1:00 pm The Wellington Inn, Chew Valley Road, Greenfield; 2:00 pm Diggle Hotel; 3:00 pm Top House (White Swan) Dobcross; 4:00 pm Commercial Uppermill; 4:30 pm Albion Tap Uppermill; 5:30 pm Church Inn Uppermill; 6:00 pm-ish Cross Keys Uppermill (and possibly 'til late!)
The links given below will take you to more detailed descriptions of some of the other seasonal events.