This is the time-of-year for many Guisers and Mumming Plays. Tracking the many performances is difficult! Two recommended ways are to look for past folk play performances, or search the Master Mummers performance index.
November, December, Christmas
- Greensleeves MM : 2nd Saturday in November. London - Dancing before and after the Lord Mayor's procession - see their website for details of times & locations.
- Gloucestershire MM : Tuesday 12 December 7:45pm - We will be at the Carpenters Arms in Miserden this year and NOT the Royal William as printed in our 2017 Programme : Carpenters Arms, GL6 7JA
- East Suffolk MM : Saturday 16th December. Dancing in Ipswich, starting at the Salutation at 11am. Their annual "Border" tour - as it's been held for over 35 years it qualifies as traditional!
- Kennet MM : Last Monday before Christmas. Kennet Karols from 8.30pm 'til late, The Bell and Bottle, Shinfield Green RG2 9EE - 50 traditional carols led by The Kennettes - festive hats optional.
- Adlington Morris Men and Mummers : Friday 22nd December 2017 – Alderley Mummers Play, Stockport tour.- 7:30 pm The Railway, 1 Avenue Street, Portwood, SK1 2BZ; 8:30 pm The Hope Inn, 118 Wellington Road North, Stockport, SK4 2LL; 9:30 pm The Magnet, 51 Wellington Road North, Stockport SK4 1HJ; 10:30 pm The Crown Inn, 154 Heaton Lane, Stockport, SK4 1AR
- Lord Conyers MM : Last Saturday before Christmas. Christmas Wassail from 2:00 pm, performing dances from their Border and Pershore repertoire, their own Yorkshire Longsword and Rapper dances before singing local Sheffield carols inside at Wales Jubilee Sports and Social Club, S26 5QG,and then moving to the site of Robin Hood's Trysting Tree in Todwick to perform the Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance at dusk (4:00pm approx)..
- Original Welsh Border Morris : Last Saturday before Christmas. Coach Tour of Worcestershire - Wichenford (The Fox) Depart 09.00am; White Ladies Aston
arrive 09.30 approx; Pershore (The Square), The Angel, & then The Star
arrive 10.30am approx depart 11.45; Evesham (Market Place),Orto Lounge
Arrive 12.15pm approx depart 14.00; Upton-upon-Severn (Riverside)
arrive 14.30pm approx leave 15.15; Worcester Guildhall
arrive 15.45pm approx leave16.45
All timings very approximate!
- Taunton Deane MM : Saturday 16th December - Border Day - Walking Tour of Taunton Town Centre 11:00am onwards.
- White Rose MM : Sunday before Christmas - 17th - Dancing around Huddersfield town centre and calling at various pubs including The Sportsman
Boxing Day - St Stephen's Day - 26th December
- Ashdown Forest MM : 1:00pm, The Hatch Inn, Colemans Hatch, TN7 4EJ
- Bedford MM : 10.45am Bedford Embankment - dancing; 11:30 am, Bedford Swan Hotel - dancing followed by the Boar’s Head Ceremony 12:00 noon
- Blackheath MM : 12:30pm, Princess of Wales on Blackheath; 1:30pm, The Crown, Blackheath Village; 3:00pm, The Hare & Billet, Blackheath.
- Brackley MM : 12:00 noon The Market Square / Red Lion Brackley; 1:00pm Stratton Arms, Turweston
- Bristol MM : Keynsham Mummers Play - 11.00 am, St John's church Keynsham; 11.30 am Keynsham Library Riverside,Temple Street (Opposite Keynsham Leisure CentreThe New Inn, 12:00 noon. [The picture on the right shows Keynsham's St George].
- Cam Valley MM : Dancing in Priddy 10:30am outside the Queen Vic, then on Priddy Green and outside the Hunters Lodge.
- Chanctonbury Ring MM : 11:00am, The Marquis (of Granby,) Sompting BN15 0AP dancing Cotswold followed by the Steyning Tipteerers mummers play. 12:30pm Frankland Arms , Washington RH20 4AL both dance and play repeated (htough never the same twice!) , followed by carols in the pub bar.
- Colchester MM : 12:30pm The Chequers, Great Tey for mulled wine, mince pies ... and morris
- Coventry MM : 12:00 noon, Boxing Day Tour Kenilworth Castle
- Dartington MM : 12:00 noon, Totnes (the Plains opposite Royal Seven Stars)
- Datchet Border Morris : 10:40am, Datchet Green, SL3 9EH, including The Mummers Play and Sword dance (longsword or rapper and after in The Red Stag)
- East Suffolk MM : 12:30 noon, The Sailing Club, Pin Mill, Ipswich IP9 1JP
- East Surrey MM - 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm The Fox, Coulsdon Common CR3 5QS; 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm The Harrow, Caterham CR3 6AJ; 2:00 pm - 2:30 pm The Hare and Hounds, Godstone RH9 8LN
- Ewell St. Mary's MM : 12:00 noon, The Famous Green Man; 12:30pm, opposite The Star; 1:00 pm, The Watch House, Church Street; 1:30pm, The Spring Tavern; 2:00pm, The Wheatsheaf, followed by the traditional mid-winter mummers’ play in the yard of the Upper Mill.
- Faithful City MM - 12:30pm - The Talbot, Knightwick
- Flamborough Sword Dancers : Flamborough, Yorkshire (or is it Humberside?) starting at the Rose & Crown in the High Street and ending at the Royal Dog & Duck. The Dancers are also supporting the relatively new charity fundraiser, the Flamborough Boxing Day Dip so you can catch them before their regular tour, at South Landing from 10.45am with the Dip at 11:00am.
- Foresters MM - 1:00pm Bottesford duck race
- Gloucestershire MM : 9:30 am The Queens Hotel, Cheltenham; 10:30 am Imperial Gardens, Cheltenham; 12:00 noon Gloucester Cathedral - The Gloucester Mummers Play will be performed at the Cathedral in between the Traditional Morris Dancing. We'll be dancing alongside Englands Glory Morris, Lassington Oak Morris Men.
- Greensleeves MM : Opposite the Rose and Crown, Wimbledon Village SW19 5BA,12.15pm; The Hand in Hand and The Crooked Billet, Wimbledon Common SW19 4RQ, 1.15pm.
- Grimsby MM : 12:00 noon The Wellow, King's Road, Cleethorpes; 12:45 pm Willy's Pub/Brighton Slipway, Cleethorpes; 1:30 pm The Punchbowl, North Promenade, Cleethorpes; 2:15 pm The No. 2 Refreshment Room (Under the Clock), Cleethorpes Railway Station; 3:00 The Nottingham House Hotel , Seaview Street, Cleethorpes The final dance spot will be followed by a singing and music session in the No.1.
- Handsworth Traditional Sword Dancers : 11:15am at Market Square, Woodhouse, S13 7JX. (Next to Cross Street); 12:00pm at Handsworth in front of St. Mary's Church, S13 9BZ.
- Harthill MM : 11:00 am – 12:00,The Bluebell, 4 Woodall Ln, Harthill, S26 7YQ; 12:00 noon - 1.00pm, The Beehive, Harthill, 16 Union St, Harthill, S26 7YH. With Three Shires Ladies Clog and Garland Dancers
- Hartley MM :12.00 noon,The Black Horse, Stansted TN15 7PR; 1.15pm The Rose and Crown, Wrotham TN15 7AE - We will be dancing and performing the Firle Mummers Play.
- Headington Quarry Morris Dancers : Their traditional Mummers Play with Rapper Sword Dancing and Bell Ringing at the following public houses within the Quarry Parish: 11:15am Crown & Thistle, 12:15pm Six Bells,1:00pm Chequers and 1:45pm Masons Arms
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : The side perform the traditional village Mummers play on tour starting in Shipston-on-Stour, traditionally visiting the sheltered homes for the elderly, then continuing to The Howard Arms,Ilmington at 1:00pm and The Red Lion, Ilmington, at 2:00pm (to be confirmed - timings may vary).
- Kemp's Men of Norwich : 12:00 noon,The Banningham Crown, Banningham NR1 7DY - dancing and Mummers' Play
- King John's MM : from 12:00 noon, The Vine Inn, High Street, Old Bursledon SO31 8DJ - Border Morris and Mummers’ Play
- Lassington Oak MM : 12.00 pm - Gloucester Cathedral, 1.00 pm The Fountain Inn, Gloucester (see Gloucester MM above)
- Leicester MM : 2.00 noon – 2.00pm as Red Leicester Border - Swithland Boxing Day at The Griffin Inn, Main Street, Swithland LE12 8TJ (Including a performance of the Sproxton Wooing Play)
- Letchworth MM : 12:30 pm The Fox, Willian; 1:30 pm Three Horseshoes, Willian
- Leominster Morris : circa 12:00 noon - Mummers Play & dancing at The New Inn, Pembridge Market Square, Leominster HR6 9DZ
- Long Man MM : 10:00am, The Bandstand, Eastbourne Seafront
- Manchester MM : from 12.00 noon dancing outside The Fox public house, Brookbottom, near New Mills SK22 3AY, followed by carols inside.
- Martlet Sword & MM : from 11:30am East St, Chichester PO19 1HH
- Mendip MM : 12:00 noon, The Plough Inn, Wrington; 1.00pm.The Plough Inn, Congresbury
- Mersey MM : from 11:00am, Boxing Day Revels, Willaston Village Green
- Moulton MM : 11:00am to Noon on Stocks Hill, Moulton, Northamptonshire. Local Mummers Play and Morris Dancing.
- North Wood MM : 12.45pm, The Harrow Inn 309 Farleigh Road, Warlingham,CR6 9EL
- Peterborough MM : 11:00am Peterborough city centre, then 1.00pm at The Blue Boar, Eye PE6 7UY
- Plymouth MM : 12:00 noon at the Brook Inn, Plympton PL7 1ND with Guests The Plymouth Maids
- Ravensbourne MM : 12:30pm - 1:30 The Greyhound, Commonside Keston BR2 6BP
- Redcar Sword Dancers : 12.00 noon at Greatham, Hospital Gates, near Hartlepool, Co Durham, Sword Dance and Play. A unique event, this could be the only example of a longsword dance and it's play still being performed together. You may also find the dancers before and after the event in the Hope and Anchor
- Ripley MM : 11:00am, Ripley Market Place;12.00 noon The Moulders Arms (Thack) at Riddings at and at The Holly Bush, Marehay at 1.00pm.
- Rutland MM : 10:30am, Horse & Jockey, Manton;12:00 noon, Uppingham Market Square; 1:00pm, Crown, Uppingham
- Silurian MM : Annual Tour starting11:00 at Ledbury Town Hall, then moving onwards to British Camp, the Morgan in Malvern, and The Three Kings at Hanley castle
- Southport Swords : 12:45pm Hesketh Arms, Churchtown; 1:45pm Bold Hotel, Churchtown; 2:45 The Guest House, Union St Southport
- Spen Valley Longsword Dancers : traditional tour of some of the pubs in Spen Valley to perform the dances and to sing a few songs; 1:00pm, Wickham Arms, Cleckheaton; 2:00pm, Spen Victoria Cricket Club, Spen Lane, Gomersal
- Thameside Mummers :12:30pm on the waterfront outside The Crooked Billet, Leigh on Sea, Essex SS9 2EP. The performance of their annual Christmas Play has been a much watched event for more than 40 years. Followed by a singaround in the pub.
- Thames Valley MM : 11.30 am Platform 3 (in The Parade, KT10 0PB); 12.15 pm The Foley (Hare Lane, KT10 0LZ);1.00 pm, The Hare & Hounds (The Green, KT10 0JL); 1.45 pm The Winning Horse (Coverts Road, KT10 0JY)
The Griffin (Common Road, KT10 0HW) - from 2.15 p.m.
- Thaxted MM : 11:00am, Church Hall, including country dancing for all;12:00 noon, dancing in the Churchyard followed by songs and music in The Swan; 3pm Dancing at the Maypole.
- Towersey Morris : Dancing at 12:00 noon,Three Horseshoes, Towersey; Mummers play at 1.00pm
- Wantage Mummers: 10:00am - 10:30 Faringdon Market Place, Faringdon Oxfordshire SN7 7HP; 12:00 noon - 12:30 The Bear Hotel, Wantage Oxfordshire; Childrey Village Hall, High Street, Childrey OX12 9UE There is always a session in Childrey after the last performance. Although the pub in Childrey has now closed the villagers are determined to do all they can to keep up the tradition, albeit in the village hall.
- Wantsum MM : 11:00am, Powell Arms Birchington, 12:00 noon St Nicholas at Wade, 1:00 The Gate Inn Marshside, 2:00 The Old Cherry Brandy House Sarre
- Wath-on-Dearne MM : 10.15am Wath Town Centre; 11:00am Post Office Wentworth; 11:45am Rockingham Arms, W/worth;12:40pm Procession along High Street; 1.00pm George & Dragon W/worth; 2:45 pm The Manvers Arms, Adwick
- Wessex MM : 12:00 noon, Mumming and Morris in Cerne Abbas Village Square DT2 7JG
- West Somerset MM : 11:00am Dunster Yarn Market TA24 6SF
- Winchester MM : 11:00am, The Buttercross, High Street, Winchester SO23 9BL (and other venues to be confirmed)
- Woodchurch MM : The annual Boxing Day Wassail in Woodchurch, Kent. This involves visiting various houses who welcome us with festive hot drinks and mince pies. Later the side will finish the day off at ‘The Six bells’ or Bonnie Cravat public houses in the village.
- Woodside MM : 12:30pm, The Cricketers, Sarratt Green,WD3 6AS
- Yateley MM : 12:00 noon, Frog & Wicket at Eversley RG40 4LS; 1:00pm Dog & Partridge in Yateley GU46 7LR
Friday - December 29th
- Adlington Morris Men and Mummers : Alderley Mummers Play, Bollington tour - 7:30 pm The Cock & Pheasant, 15 Bollington Road, SK10 5EJ (T.B.C.); 8:30 pm The Poachers Inn, 95 Ingersley Road, Bollington, SK10 5RE; 9:30 pm The Vale Inn, 29-31 Adlington Road, Bollington, SK10 5JT
Saturday - December 30th
- Saddleworth MM : The Annual Lordsmere Longsword finale - 1:00 pm: The Wellington Inn, Chew Valley Road, Greenfield; 2:00 pm: The Railway, Shaw Hall Bank Road, Greenfield; 3:00 pm: The Swan, The Square, Dobcross; 4:00 pm: The Diggle Hotel, Station Houses, Diggle; 5:00 pm: The Commercial, High Street, Uppermill; 7:00 pm: The Cross Keys Inn, Running Hill Gate, Uppermill; 8:00 pm: The Church Inn, Running Hill Gate, Uppermill ('til late)
The links given below will take you to more detailed desciptions of some of the other seasonal events.