This is the time-of-year for many Guisers and Mumming Plays. Tracking the many performances is difficult! Two recommended ways are to look for past folk play performances, or search the Master Mummers performance index.
November, December, Christmas
- Greensleeves MM : 2nd Saturday in November. London - Dancing before and after the Lord Mayor's procession - see their website for details of times & locations.
- Gloucestershire MM : Tuesday 11th December 7:45pm - Carpenters Arms, GL6 7JA
- East Suffolk MM : Saturday 22nd December. Dancing in Ipswich, starting at the Salutation at 11am. Their annual "Border" tour - as it's been held for over 35 years it qualifies as traditional!
- Kennet MM : Last Monday before Christmas. Kennet Karols from 8.30pm 'til late, The Bell and Bottle, Shinfield Green RG2 9EE - 50 traditional carols led by The Kennettes - festive hats optional.
- Adlington Morris Men and Mummers : Friday 21st December – Alderley Mummers Play, Stockport tour.- 7:30 pm The Railway, 1 Avenue Street, Portwood, SK1 2BZ; 8:30 pm The Hope Inn, 118 Wellington Road North, Stockport, SK4 2LL; 9:30 pm The Magnet, 51 Wellington Road North, Stockport SK4 1HJ; 10:30 pm The Crown Inn, 154 Heaton Lane, Stockport, SK4 1AR
- Lord Conyers MM : Last Saturday before Christmas. Christmas Wassail from 2:00 pm, performing dances from their Border and Pershore repertoire, their own Yorkshire Longsword and Rapper dances before singing local Sheffield carols inside at Wales Jubilee Sports and Social Club, S26 5QG,and then moving to the site of Robin Hood's Trysting Tree in Todwick to perform the Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance at dusk (4:00pm approx)..
- Original Welsh Border Morris : Last Saturday before Christmas. Coach Tour of Worcestershire -
Fox Inn, Wichenford, WR2 6NX arrive 0800 depart 0900
White Ladies Aston arrive 0930 depart 1015
Pershore arrive 1030 depart 1145
Evesham depart arrive 1215 1400
Upton-upon-Severn arrive 1430 depart 1515
Worcester arrive 1545 depart 1645
Fox Inn, Wichenford arrive 1715
All timings very approximate!
- Taunton Deane MM : Saturday 15th December - Border Day - Walking Tour of Taunton Town Centre 11:00am onwards.
Boxing Day - St Stephen's Day - Wednesday 26th December
- Ashdown Forest MM : 1:00pm, The Hatch Inn, Colemans Hatch, TN7 4EJ
- Bedford MM : 10.45am Bedford Embankment - dancing; 11:30 am, Bedford Swan Hotel - dancing followed by the Boar’s Head Ceremony 12:00 noon - to be confirmed
- Blackheath MM : 12:30pm, Princess of Wales on Blackheath; 1:30pm, The Crown, Blackheath Village; 3:00pm, The Hare & Billet, Blackheath.
- Brackley MM : Boxing Day Tour. 11:00am Blackbird Croughton; 12.00 noon Brackley Market Place 1.00pm Stratton Arms Turweston
- Bristol MM : Keynsham Mummers Play - 11.00 am, St John's church Keynsham; 11.30 am Keynsham Library Riverside,Temple Street (Opposite Keynsham Leisure CentreThe New Inn, 12:00 noon. [The picture on the right shows Keynsham's St George].
- Chanctonbury Ring MM : 11:00am, We've only just heard that The Marquis (formerly ‘of Granby’) in Sompting will be closed for refurbishment over Christmas and so we will be relocating to it’s sister pub, THE FARMERS at 17 South St, Lancing BN15 8AE. dancing Cotswold followed by the Steyning Tipteerers mummers play. 12:30pm A RETURN TO THE ORIGINAL HOME OF THE PLAY The White Horse, 23 High Street, Steyning BN44 3YE , followed by carols in the pub bar. (The Frankland Arms is currently CLOSED with no information available as to when it might re-open, if at all.)
- Colchester MM : 12:30pm The Chequers, Great Tey for mulled wine, mince pies ... and morris
- Coventry MM : 12:00 noon, Boxing Day Tour Kenilworth Castle
- Dartington MM : 12:00 noon 'til 1:00pm, Totnes (the Plains opposite Royal Seven Stars)
- Datchet Border Morris : 10:40am, Datchet Green, SL3 9EH, including The Mummers Play and Sword dance (longsword or rapper and after in The Red Stag)
- East Suffolk MM : 12:30 noon, The Sailing Club, Pin Mill, Ipswich IP9 1JP
- East Surrey MM - 12:00 pm - 12:30 pm The Fox, Coulsdon Common CR3 5QS; 2:00 pm - 2:30 pm The Hare and Hounds, Godstone RH9 8LN
- Ewell St. Mary's MM : 12:00 noon, The Famous Green Man; 12:30pm, opposite The Star; 1:00 pm, The Watch House, Church Street; 1:30pm, The Spring Tavern; 2:00pm, The Wheatsheaf, followed by the traditional mid-winter mummers’ play in the yard of the Upper Mill.
- Faithful City MM - 12:30pm - The Talbot, Knightwick
- Flamborough Sword Dancers : Flamborough, Yorkshire (or is it Humberside?) starting at the Rose & Crown in the High Street and ending at the Royal Dog & Duck. The Dancers are also supporting the relatively new charity fundraiser, the Flamborough Boxing Day Dip so you can catch them before their regular tour, at South Landing from 10.45am with the Dip at 11:00am.
- Foresters MM - 11:00am Bottesford duck race
- Gloucester MM - 9:30am The Queens Hotel, Cheltenham : 10:30 am Imperial Gardens, Cheltenham : 12:00 noon Gloucester Cathedral .The Gloucester Mummers Play will be performed at the Cathedral in between the Traditional Morris Dancing. We'll be dancing alongside Englands Glory Morris, Lassington Oak Morris Men and Miserden Morris.
- Greensleeves MM : Opposite the Rose and Crown, Wimbledon Village SW19 5BA,12.15pm; The Hand in Hand and The Crooked Billet, Wimbledon Common SW19 4RQ, 1.15pm.
- Grimsby MM : 12:00 noon The Wellow, King's Road, Cleethorpes; 12:40 pm The Punchbowl, North Promenade, Cleethorpes; 1:15 pm The No. 2 Refreshment Room (Under the Clock), Cleethorpes Railway Station; 1:55pm 2:30pm The Nottingham House Hotel , Seaview Street, Cleethorpes The final dance spot will be followed by a singing and music session in the Sports Bar of the Notts.
- Handsworth Traditional Sword Dancers : 11:15am at Market Square, Woodhouse, S13 7JX. (Next to Cross Street); 12:00pm at Handsworth in front of St. Mary's Church, S13 9BZ.
- Harthill MM : 11;00am, The Bluebell, 4 Woodall Ln, Harthill, S26 7YQ; 12.30pm, The Beehive, Harthill, 16 Union St, Harthill, S26 7YH. With Three Shires Ladies Clog and Garland Dancers
- Hartley MM :12.00 noon,The Black Horse, Stansted TN15 7PR; 1.15pm The Rose and Crown, Wrotham TN15 7AE - We will be dancing and performing the Firle Mummers Play.
- Headington Quarry Morris Dancers : Their traditional Mummers Play with Rapper Sword Dancing and Hand Bell Ringing at the following public houses within the Quarry Parish: 11:15am Crown & Thistle, 12:15pm Six Bells,1:00pm Chequers and 1:45pm Masons Arms
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : The side perform the traditional village Mummers play on tour starting in Shipston-on-Stour, traditionally visiting the sheltered homes for the elderly, then continuing to The Howard Arms,Ilmington at 1:00pm and The Red Lion, Ilmington, at 2:00pm (timings may vary).
- Kemp's Men of Norwich : 12:00 noon,The Banningham Crown, Banningham NR1 7DY - dancing and Mummers' Play
- King John's MM : from 12:00 noon, The Vine Inn, High Street, Old Bursledon SO31 8DJ - Border Morris and Mummers’ Play
- Lassington Oak MM : 12.00 pm - Gloucester Cathedral, 1.00 pm The Fountain Inn, Gloucester (see Gloucester MM above)
- Leicester MM : 12.00 noon – 2.00pm as Red Leicester Border - Swithland Boxing Day at The Griffin Inn, Main Street, Swithland LE12 8TJ (Including a performance of the Sproxton Wooing Play)
- Letchworth MM : 12:30 pm The Fox, Willian; 1:30 pm Three Horseshoes, Willian. There's also a music session at The Three Horseshoes afterwards to allow the dancers to re-hydrate with a couple of beers.
- Leominster Morris : circa 12:00 noon - Mummers Play & dancing at The Chequers, 63 Etnam St, Leominster HR6 8AE
- Long Man MM : 10:00am - 11:00am The Bandstand, Eastbourne Seafront. Collecting for Eastbourne RNLI
- Manchester MM : from 12.00 noon dancing outside The Fox public house, Brookbottom, near New Mills SK22 3AY, followed by carols inside.
- Martlet Sword & MM : 11:30am - 12:30pm East St, Chichester PO19 1HH
- Mendip MM : 12:00 noon, The Plough Inn, Wrington; 1.00pm.The Plough Inn, Congresbury
- Mersey MM : from 11:00am, Boxing Day Revels, Willaston Village Green
- Moulton MM : Boxing Day Bonanza - 11:00am to Noon Cardigan Arms on Stocks Hill, Moulton, Northamptonshire NN3 7TB. Local Mummers Play and Morris Dancing.
- North Wood MM : 12.45pm, The Harrow Inn 309 Farleigh Road, Warlingham,CR6 9EL
- Plymouth MM : 12:00 noon at the Brook Inn, Plympton PL7 1ND with Guests The Plymouth Maids
- Ravensbourne MM : 12:30pm - 1:30 The Greyhound, Commonside Keston BR2 6BP - 55 years and counting!
- Redcar Sword Dancers : 12.00 noon at Greatham, Hospital Gates, near Hartlepool, Co Durham, Sword Dance and Play. A unique event, this could be the only example of a longsword dance and its play still being performed together. But there will be one important change this year. The Hope and Anchor, their ‘watering hole’ and venue of the popular post dance singaround, has closed but fortunately the landlord of the Bull and Dog next door has agreed to act as host this year.
- Ripley M : 11:00am, Ripley Market Place;12.00 noon The Moulders Arms (Thack) at Riddings at and at The Kings Arms, Crich at 1.00pm.
- Rutland MM : 10:30am, (to dance at 11:00am) Horse & Jockey, Manton;12:00 noon, Uppingham Market Square; 1:00pm, Crown, Uppingham
- Silurian MM : Annual Tour starting at Ledbury Market House at 11:00, followed by dance spots at British Camp at 12:00, The Morgan Pub in Malvern at 13:00 (tbc) and The Three Kings pub at Hanley Castle at 14:00 usually followed by a music session
- Southport Swords : 12:00pm Hesketh Arms, Churchtown; 1:30pm Bold Hotel, Churchtown; 2:30pm The Guest House, Union St Southport - the final event of their 50th year celebrations
- Spen Valley Longsword Dancers : traditional tour of some of the pubs in Spen Valley to perform the dances and to sing a few songs; 1:00pm, Wickham Arms, Cleckheaton; 2:00pm, Spen Victoria Cricket Club, Spen Lane, Gomersal
- Thameside Mummers :1:00 pm on the waterfront outside The Crooked Billet, Leigh on Sea, Essex SS9 2EP. The performance of their annual Christmas Play has been a much watched event for more than 40 years. Followed by a singaround in the pub.
- Thames Valley MM : 11.30 am Platform 3 (in The Parade, KT10 0PB); 12.15 pm The Foley (Hare Lane, KT10 0LZ);1.00 pm, The Hare & Hounds (The Green, KT10 0JL); 1.45 pm The Winning Horse (Coverts Road, KT10 0JY) The Griffin (Common Road, KT10 0HW) - from 2.15 p.m.
- Thaxted MM : 11:00am, Church Hall, including country dancing for all;12:00 noon, dancing in the Churchyard followed by songs and music in The Swan; 3pm Dancing at the Maypole.
- Towersey Morris : Dancing at 12:00 noon, Three Horseshoes, Towersey; Mummers play at 1.00pm
- Wantage Mummers: 10:00am - 10:30 Faringdon Market Place, Faringdon Oxfordshire SN7 7HP; 12:00 noon - 12:30 The Bear Hotel, Wantage Oxfordshire; 1:15pm Childrey Village Hall, High Street, Childrey OX12 9UE . There is always a session in Childrey after the last performance, Although the pub in Childrey has now closed the villagers are determined to do all they can to keep up the tradition, albeit in the village hall.
- Wantsum MM : 11:00am, Powell Arms Birchington; 12:00 noon The Bell Inn St Nicholas at Wade; 1:00 The Gate Inn Marshside; 2:00 The Crown Inn (The Old Cherry Brandy House) Sarre
- Wath-on-Dearne MM : 10.15am Wath Town Centre; 11:00am Post Office Wentworth; 11:30am Rockingham Arms, W/worth then Procession along High Street; 1.30pm George & Dragon W/worth; 2:45 pm Edmunds Arms, Worsborough Village (Dancing, Mumming and Carols)
- Wessex MM : 12:00 noon, Mumming and Morris in Cerne Abbas Village Square DT2 7JG
- West Somerset MM : 11:00am Dunster Yarn Market TA24 6SF
- Winchester MM : CANCELLED 11:00am, The Buttercross, High Street, Winchester SO23 9BL (and other venues to be confirmed)
- Woodchurch MM : The annual Boxing Day Wassail in Woodchurch, Kent. This involves visiting various houses who welcome us with festive hot drinks and mince pies. Later the side will finish the day off at ‘The Six bells’ or Bonnie Cravat public houses in the village. to be confirmed
- Woodside MM : 12:30pm, The Cricketers, Sarratt Green,WD3 6AS
- Yateley MM : 12:00 noon, The Queens Oak, Church Lane, Finchampstead, Wokingham RG40 4LS; 1:00pm Dog & Partridge in Yateley GU46 7LR
Friday - December 28th
- Adlington Morris Men and Mummers : Alderley Mummers Play, Bollington tour - 7:30 pm The Cock & Pheasant, 15 Bollington Road, SK10 5EJ (T.B.C.); 8:30 pm The Poachers Inn, 95 Ingersley Road, Bollington, SK10 5RE; 9:30 pm The Vale Inn, 29-31 Adlington Road, Bollington, SK10 5JT
Saturday - December 29th
- Saddleworth MM : The Annual Lordsmere Longsword finale - 1:00 pm: The Wellington Inn, Chew Valley Road, Greenfield; 2:00 pm: The Railway, Shaw Hall Bank Road, Greenfield; 3:00 pm: The Swan, The Square, Dobcross; 4:00 pm: The Diggle Hotel, Station Houses, Diggle; 5:00 pm: The Commercial, High Street, Uppermill; 7:00 pm: The Cross Keys Inn, Running Hill Gate, Uppermill; 8:00 pm: The Church Inn, Running Hill Gate, Uppermill ('til late)