Mersey Molly Dancers
The Welsh border dancers often referred to themselves as “Molly dancers”, however this form of dance is now usually applied to the morris dances from the Eastern counties of England. See the Molly dance web site.
Contemporary Molly Dance Groups
The level of sophistication, both in dance and dress of contemporary molly dance groups, totally belies their early descriptions! A small mercy, since nowadays the old molly dancers antics would be likely to be the subject of an Anti Social Behaviour Order! A good place to spot molly dancers is at the Whittlesea Straw Bear Festival in January, traditionally this was the Tuesday following Plough Monday, but is now on the weekend following Plough Monday. The main day is the Saturday. However the situation is a little unclear so check their website.
- The Seven Champions Molly Dancers, Sandway near Lenham, Kent
- Ouse Washes Molly, Norfolk
- Flash Company, Otley, West Yorkshire
- Gog Magog Molly, Cambridgeshire
- Pig Dyke Molly, Peterborough
- Black Dog Molly, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
- Handsome Molly, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
- Mad Molly, California, USA