Many Morris events take place on or around May Day (which is, of course, the 1st of May regardless of the date of the May Day bank holiday Monday ). These are the events we are aware of - if yours is not included please contact the webeditor [at] themorrisring.org (webeditor)
Before May Day:
- Adderbury Morris Day of Dance : Normally on the Saturday closest to April 26th
(which happens to be the birthday of Janet Heatley Blunt). Advisable to check their website for the date.
- Lord Conyers MM : April 30th / May 1st - Trysting Tree, Kiveton,Todwick, South Yorkshire. - Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance at dusk on 30th April (May eve) and Cotswold Morris on 1st May at dawn (5:30am). See link for Trysting Tree details
May Day Itself - 1st May:
- Aldbury MM : May 1st - The Pond, Aldbury, 6:15 am
- Ashdown Forest MM : May 1st - Gill's Gap (site of the E.H. Shepard & A.A. Milne Memorial), Ashdown Forest (dawn 5:30amish), followed by a tour of local schools - check their website for tour details. The day ends at 7:30pm at The Bull Inn, Newick (BN8 4LA) with Shalesbrook Morris
- Bathampton MM : May 1st - Bathampton The School BA2 6TQ, 7:30pm; The George BA2 6TR, 8:15pm,;Bathford , The Crown BA1 7SL, 9:00pm
- Bedford MM : May 1st - Ickwell Green Maypole, SG18 9EE, 6:30 am, with Letchworth MM and Offley MM
- Bourne River MM : May 1st - 5:15 am The Cross Keys Inn, Mannington, BH21 7JZ. Morris, beer and breakfast, followed by music and song.
- Brackley MM : May 1st - Market Place, 5:30am; Juniper House Care Home, 11:00am
- Bristol MM : May 1st - Castle Park, Bristol- sunrise, 5:42 am
- Buckland Shag MM : May 1st - Buckland Pond, Buckland, Dawn
- Cam Valley MM : May 1st - Beltane Celebrations, Glastonbury Tor, 5:20 am
- Chanctonbury Ring MM : May 1st - Chanctonbury Ring, South Downs, 8:00 am. Meet 7:45am at the car park at BN44 3DN in time for the top - or meet there. Note later time than usual as it's a Bank Holiday. See website for details of the following breakfast and tour.
- Chapel-en-le-Frith MM - : May 1st - Dancing in The Dawn on Eccles Pike, 5:30am - 6:30am
- Chipping Campden MM: May 1st - Chipping Campden Town Square, 7:00 am for Morris and Maypole dancing. Then a tour of South Warwickshire locations with Pebworth, Ilmington and Shakespeare Morris.
- Dartington MM : May 1st - Totnes Castle, 5:30 am
- Datchet Border Morris : May 1st - dancing at sunrise (5:30 am) at Magna Carta Tea Room in historic Runnymede from 5:00am, whatever the weather.
- Devil's Dyke MM : May 1st - Wandlebury Country Park, 5:30 am; visiting Ely Schools, 9:00am – 11:45am
- East Suffolk MM : May 1st - Felixstowe Beacon 5:25am (Sunrise)
- Ewell St Mary's MM : May 1st - Dancing the Sun up on the road by the Lookout, Box Hill, Surrey, KT20 7LB and breakfast at The Wheatsheaf, Kingston Road, Ewell KT17 2 am 6:00 am - 8:00 am.Tunes… songs … a pint or two … and a full English, as guests of Kingston Morris
- Foresters Morris & Sword Dance Club : May 1st - Nottingham Castle by the Robin Hood Statue with Greenwood Step Clog, 5:20 am
- Forest of Dean MM : May 1st - May Hill, 5:25 am with other local sides.
- Gloucester MM: May 1st - Painswick Beacon, 5:30 am - 6:30am dancing with our friends, the lasses of the Stroud Morris Dancers and Miserden Morris
- Greensleeves MM : May 1st - Sunrise Show at the Windmill, Wimbledon Common, SW19 5NT, 5:30 am
- Hartley MM : May 1st - The Beltane Tour - 5.30 a.m. the Coldrum Stones, Trottiscliffe; 9.30 a.m. - St. George's school, Wrotham; 10.30 a.m. - Sedley's school, Southfleet; 11.30 a.m. to 1.000 p.m. - in and around Gravesend; 1.30 p.m. - Rose & Crown, Wrotham (TN15 7AE)
- Hexham MM : May 1st - Steel Rigg Car Park, Henshaw, Northumberland NE47 7AN, 5:20am - 6:20am
- Icknield Way MM : May 1st - 6:00 am - Oxford City centre; 12:30pm - 2:30pm, The King Alfred's Head, 31 Market Place, Wantage OX12 8AH
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : May 1st - dancing at dawn 0530am (approx.) on Ilmington Downs at Larkstoke; the highest point in Warwickshire 842 feet amsl (52 04.88N 001 43.69W). There then follows a tour of Ilmington until breakfast at 8am.
- Jockey MM : May 1st - Beacon Hill, Lickey Hills Country Park, 5:20 am - 6:00 am
- King John's MM : May 1st - The Bargate High St, Southampton SO14 2DJ, 5:00am – 6:00am with Red Stags Morris
- Lassington Oak MM : May 1st - 5:15am May Hill Nr Huntley, Herefordshire, and Fountain Inn, Westgate, Gloucester, 11:00 am
- Leicester MM : May 1st - Old John in Bradgate Park LE6 0HE, 7:00 am
- Leominster Morris : May 1st - Bache Camp, Kimbolton, 5.15 am
- London Pride MM : May 1st - Primrose Hill, Regents Park London 5:30 am.
- Long Man MM : May 1st - at the foot of the Long Man of Wilmington BN26 5Q, 5:30 am
- Mersey MM : May 1st - Dawn at The Observatory, Bidston Hill, 5:0 0am - 5:45am
- Men of Wight Morris Men : May 1st - Longstone, Mottistone, PO30 4EB, 5:00 am - 6:30am
- North Wood MM : May 1st - Crown Hill, Croydon, 5:45am and Queens Gardens, Croydon, 6:30 am
- Oxford : May 1st - A Mayday carol from Magdelen College tower and massed dancing around the town center for the remainder of the morning, from 6:00am
- Packington MM : May 1st - Breedon Hill, Leicestershire, 5:30am and Bull and Lion, Packington
- Peterborough MM : May 1st - Customs House, Nene Embankment, near Peterborough Town Bridge, PE1 1EG, 5:20 am
- Plymouth MM : May 1st - The Hoe Promenade, above Smeaton's Tower, Plymouth Hoe, 5:00 am
- Ravensbourne MM : May 1st - SThe Geoff Metcalf Tour - 5:32am Welcome the Sunrise at Caesar’s Well, Keston Ponds, followed by a tour of Keston Village. After that we please
ourselves as to where we go.(More info on www.ravensbourne.org)
- Ripley MM - May 1st - Morning tour of local schools; 8.00pm Horse and Jockey Selston NG16 6FE with Mortimer’s Lady Bay Revellers Ripley Green Garters and Winster Morris Dancers
- Rutland MM : May 1st - Uppingham Market Place, 5:00 am; followed by The Vaults for a well earned breakfast.
- St Albans MM : May 1st - Outside the town Hall, St Peter's Street, St Albans, 11:00 am – 11:30 am; Markyate May Fair 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Shakespeare MM : May 1st - dancing up the sun (5:37am) on May Day. Starting on the Bancroft Gardens, Waterside, Stratford on Avon , and working our way around town
- Stafford MM : May 1st - 7:45pm The Holly Bush, Salt; 9.00pm The Woolpack, Weston - with Uttoxeter Heart of Oak MM
- Southport Swords : May 1st - Dancing at dawn in Southport town centre outside The Atkinson. (Approx 05-30)
- Spring Grove MM : May 1st - Dancing the Sun up on the road by the Salomons viewpoint Box Hill, Surrey, KT20 7LB, 5:35am – 6:35am with other guest sides
- Towersey Morris : May 1st - Towersey Crossroads, OX39 3QY, 5:30am. The Three Horseshoes
- Victory MM : May 1st - The Spur Redoubt,PO1 2TJ, 5:15am followed by The Point, Old Portsmouth
- Wessex MM : May 1st - dancing above the Cerne Abbas Giant at dawn (5.15am), then on to Cerne Abbas Village Square, 7:00am Please, please keep off The Giant!
- White Rose MM : May 1st - Meet at the Victoria Tower, Castle Hill, 5:15am
- Woodside MM : May 1st - Cassdiobury Park (where the paths meet near the bridges), Watford, 5:00 am
- Wyvern Jubilee MM : May 1st - Ham Hill, South Somerset, 4:45am !!!
- Yateley MM : May 1st, - Wyndhams Pool, Cricket Hill,Yateley, 5:30am - 6:30am
- Hastings Traditional Jack In The Green : All weekend with Jack in the Green's appearance and procession on the Bank Holiday Monday. Check programme for details.
May Bank Holiday Monday 7th May
- Chalice MM : 12:30pm Bleadon May Fair BS24 0PG
- Kennet MM : 10:30 Goring Heath Almshouses; 11:30 Goring Lock; 1:00pm South Stoke May Fair
- Knutsford Royal May Day : 1st Saturday in May - Knutsford, Cheshire Annual May Queen procession through Knutsford since 1864. Manchester MM have danced in the procession since 1979, and Leyland MM since 1968; morris teams have been a part of the procession since 1878.
- Westminster MM : Saturday nearest May 12th - Day of Dance around Westminster, with Massed Shows in Trafalgar Square at noon and 5.00pm.
- Moulton MM : Saturday, one whole week before the Saturday of Spring Bank Holiday i.e. between 16/22 May. Moulton Village Festival - May Queen Ceremony, Childrens' Bowers and Maycart Procession, Moulton, 10:00am to 3:30pm
The links given below will take you to more detailed desciptions of some of the other seasonal events.
|Events Home||January||Easter||St. George's Day||Whitsun||Summer||Christmas|