Many Morris events take place on or around May Day (which is, of course, the 1st of May regardless of the date of the May Day bank holiday Monday ). As it falls on a Sunday this year, a number of sides have chosen to dance later than usual. These are the events we are aware of - if yours is not included please contact the webeditor [at] themorrisring.org (webeditor)
Before May Day:
- Adderbury Morris Day of Dance : Normally on the Saturday closest to April 26th
(which happens to be the birthday of Janet Heatley Blunt). Advisable to check their website for the date.
- Lord Conyers MM : April 30th / May 1st - Trysting Tree, Kiveton,Todwick, South Yorkshire. - Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance at dusk on 30th April (May eve) and Cotswold Morris on 1st May at dawn (5:30am). See link for Trysting Tree details
May Day Itself - 1st May:
- Aldbury MM : May 1st - The Pond, Aldbury, 6:15 am; The Greyhound, Aldbury - Aldbury May Fair,12.30pm
- Ashdown Forest MM : May 1st - Gill's Gap (site of the E.H. Shepard & A.A. Milne Memorial), Ashdown Forest (dawn 5:30amish), followed by a day tour - check their website for tour details.
- Bathampton MM : May 1st - Bath, The Huntsman BA1 1LY, 2:15pm; Abbey Churchyard BA1 1LT, 3:00pm; Bathampton The School BA2 6TQ, 7:30pm; The George BA2 6TR, 8:15pm, Bathford , The Crown BA1 7SL, 9:15pm
- Bedford MM : May 1st - Ickwell Green Maypole, SG18 9EE, 6:30 am, with Letchworth MM and Offley MM followed by folk dancing for all; on to Ickwell May Day Festival. See website for details
- Bourne River MM : May 1st - 5:15 am The Cross Keys Inn, Mannington, BH21 7JZ. Morris, beer and breakfast, followed by music and song.
- Brackley MM : May 1st - Market Place, 5:30am with guests Northampton MM, Royal Oak, & Rapskallian; Market Place, possible Brackley U3A dance group, 9.30am; Old Folks Home, Brackley,10.30am:, Weston and Weedon Lois, 1.00pm:
- Bristol MM : May 1st - Castle Park, Bristol- sunrise, 5:42 am
- Buckland Shag MM : May 1st - Buckland Pond, Buckland, Dawn
- Cam Valley MM : May 1st - Glastonbury Tor, 5:20 am
- Chalice MM : May 1st - 11:00am Marine Cove Gardens, Weston-s-mare, BS22 7XE; 7.30pm St George's Evening, Ring of Bells, Ashcott, TA7 9PZ
- Chanctonbury Ring MM : May 1st - Chanctonbury Ring, South Downs, 8:00 am. Meet 7:45am at the car park at BN44 3DN in time for the top - or meet there. Note later time than usual as it's a Bank Holiday. See website for details of the following breakfast and tour.
- Chapel-en-le-Frith MM - : May 1st - Dancing in The Dawn on Eccles Pike, 5:30am ; Buxton Spring Fair 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Chipping Campden MM: May 1st - Chipping Campden Town Square, 7:00 am for Morris and Maypole dancing. Then a tour of South Warwickshire locations with Pebworth, Ilmington and Shakespeare Morris.
- Cinque Ports MM : May 1st - Smallhythe Place TN30 7NG at Dawn, then Winchelsea, 7:00 am followed by a walking tour of Rye - starting at The Harbour with a well earned breakfast at 8:30am.
- Dartington MM : May 1st - Totnes Castle, 5:30 am
- Datchet Border Morris : May 1st - dancing at sunrise (5:30 am) at Magna Carta Tea Room in historic Runnymede, whatever the weather.
- Devil's Dyke MM : May 1st - Wandlebury Country Park, 5:30 am; Commercial End, The Royal Oak, 11:00am; Reach Fair, 1:00pm
- East Suffolk MM : May 1st - Felixstowe Beacon 5:25am (Sunrise); Mendlesham Street Fayre (pm)
- Ewell St Mary's MM : May 1st - Dancing the Sun up on the road by the Lookout, Box Hill, Surrey, KT20 7LB and breakfast at The Wheatsheaf, Kingston Road, Ewell KT17 2 am 6:00 am - 8:00 am.Tunes… songs … a pint or two … and a full English!
- Foresters Morris & Sword Dance Club : May 1st - Nottingham Castle by the Robin Hood Statue with Greenwood Step Clog, 5:20 am
- Forest of Dean MM : May 1st - May Hill, 5:25 am with other local sides.
- Gloucester MM: May 1st - Painswick Beacon, 5:30 am
- Greensleeves MM : May 1st - Sunrise Show at the Windmill, Wimbledon Common, SW19 5NT, 5:30 am
- Hartley MM : May 1st - The Coldrum Stones, Trottiscliffe, 5:30 am; Rochester Sweeps Festival, 11.00 am - somewhere in the High Street, including a visit to the Flippin' Frog ME1 1BT; Singing at the Man of Kent Alehouse Rochester ME1 1YN, 2:00p.m. until 4:00 p.m.
- Hellier MM : May 1st - Day of Dance Tour of Jersey Island's 12 Parishes with Jersey Lilies, starting at Mont Orgueil Castle, 6:0 0am
- Hexham MM : May 1st - Steel Rigg Car Park, Henshaw, Northumberland NE47 7AN, 5:25am
- Icknield Way MM : May 1st - 6:00 am - Oxford City centre
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : May 1st - Meet Ilmington Downs at Larkstoke, 5:15 am. There then follows a tour of Ilmington until breakfast at 8am.
- Jockey MM : May 1st - Beacon Hill, Lickey Hills Country Park, 5:35 am approx. Jockey will be dancing in two countries at once this year! A side will dance up the dawn on the Lickey Hills as usual, however they are also sending a side to Anderlecht to dance at dawn with Green Horse Morris, who are part of a great local dance club, Farandole d'Anderlect.
- Kennet MM : May 1st - We will not be dancing at dawn but following our traditional May Bank holiday programme - 10:30 Goring Heath Almshouses; 11:30 Goring Lock; 1:00pm South Stoke May Fair
- Lassington Oak MM : May 1st - 5:15am May Hill Nr Huntley, Herefordshire, and Fountain Inn, Westgate, Gloucester, 11:00 am
- Leicester MM : May 1st - Old John in Bradgate Park LE6 0HE, 7:00 am then touring from 11:00am - see their website for details
- Leominster Morris : May 1st - Bache Camp, Kimbolton, 5.15 am; The Butcher’s Arms, Woolhope, 12.30pm; The Big Apple, Putley, 3:00pm
- London Pride MM : May 1st - Primrose Hill, Regents Park London 5:30 am.
- Long Man MM : May 1st - at the foot of the Long Man of Wilmington, 5:30 am
- Mendip MM : May 1st - Chalice Well Gardens, Glastonbury, 8:00am
- Mersey MM : May 1st - Dawn at The Observatory, Bidston Hill, 5:0 0am
- Men of Wight Morris Men : May 1st - Longstone, Mottistone, PO30 4EB, 5:00 am
- North Wood MM : May 1st - Crown Hill, Croydon, 5:45am and Queens Gardens, Croydon, 6:30 am
- Oxford : May 1st - A Mayday carol from Magdelen College tower and massed dancing around the town center for the remainder of the morning, from 6:00am
- Packington MM : May 1st - Breedon Hill, Leicestershire, 5:30am and Bull and Lion, Packington
- Peterborough MM : May 1st - Customs House, Nene Embankment, near Peterborough Town Bridge, PE1 1EG, 5:20 am
- Plymouth MM : May 1st - The Hoe Promenade, above Smeaton's Tower, Plymouth Hoe, 5:00 am; Black Prince. 10.30am, Mass displays and procession around Millbrook; Kingsand and Cawsand, 2:00pm.
- Ravensbourne MM : May 1st - Sunrise at the source of the River Ravensbourne(Keston Ponds, Westerham Rd,Bromley BR2 6) before dancing at / around Keston village, (Usually outside the newsagent and waking the Rector) 5:30am
- Rutland MM : May 1st - Uppingham Market Square, 5:00 am; Crown, Uppingham 6.00 am followed by The Vaults.
- St Albans MM : May 1st - Outside the town Hall, St Peter's Street, St Albans, 11:00 am – 11:30 am; Markyate May Fair 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Shakespeare MM : May 1st - Stratford upon Avon Bancroft Gardens, 5:20 am
- Stafford MM : May 1st - Moseley Old Hall, 12:00 noon
- Southport Swords : May 1st - Outside the Library, Lord Street, 5:30 am
- Spring Grove MM : May 1st - Dancing the Sun up on the road by the Salomons viewpoint Box Hill, Surrey, KT20 7LB with other guest sides;Ham House and Garden, Ham St, Richmond-upon-Thames TW10 7RS,11:00am and 1:30pm
- Towersey Morris : May 1st - Towersey Crossroads, OX39 3QY, 5:30am. The Three Horseshoes, 150 yds along the road, will serve breakfast at 06:30. Please ring 01844 212322, before 15:00 on Sat 30 April, to book.
- Victory MM : May 1st - The Spur Redoubt,PO1 2TJ, 5:15am and Pembroke, Old Portsmouth, 8:00pm; Part of the mystery day tour includes: 10.15 St.Mary's Church Fair, Kingston
- Wessex MM : May 1st - dancing above the Cerne Abbas Giant at dawn (5.15am), then on to Cerne Abbas Village Square, 7:00am
- White Rose MM : May 1st - Meet at the Victoria Tower, Castle Hill, 5:15am
- Woodside MM : May 1st - Cassdiobury Park (where the paths meet near the bridges), Watford, 5:00 am
- Yateley MM : May 1st, - Wyndhams Pool, Cricket Hill,Yateley, 5:30am; Yateley May Fair 11:00am – 12:30pm; Crowthorne May Fair, 1:30pm
- Hastings Traditional Jack In The Green : All weekend with Jack in the Green's appearance and procession on the Bank Holiday Monday. Check programme for details.
After May Day
- Knutsford Royal May Day : 1st Saturday in May - Knutsford, Cheshire Annual May Queen procession through Knutsford since 1864. Manchester MM have danced in the procession since 1979, and Leyland MM since 1968; morris teams have been a part of the procession since 1878.
- Westminster MM : Saturday nearest May 12th - Day of Dance around Westminster, with Massed Shows in Trafalgar Square at noon and 5.00pm.
- Moulton MM : Saturday, one whole week before the Saturday of Spring Bank Holiday i.e. between 16/22 May. Moulton Village Festival - May Queen Ceremony, Childrens' Bowers and Maycart Procession, Moulton, 10:00am to 3:30pm
The links given below will take you to more detailed desciptions of some of the other seasonal events.
|Events Home||January||Easter||St. George's Day||Whitsun||Summer||Christmas|