The 23rd of April is St George's Day in England; St George is the patron saint of England and of a few other places as well - see this Wikipedia page for more information about St George.
This list is captures most of our member club's advertised performances. During the last few years and especially since the year 2000 there has been an upsurge in interest in celebrating a 'National Day' for England and the number and variety of events increases each year. (If we've missed yours, please contact the webeditor [at] themorrisring.org (webeditor))
Whilst not a "traditional" event the biggest this year will be The Joint Morris Organisations National Day of Dance in York, featuring the following Ring sides: Richmond, Ripley, Letchworth, Harthill, Saddleworth, Manchester, Dolphin, Adlington, Peterborough, King's Morris, Grimsby, Southport Swords and Jockey MM
- Anstey MM : St George's Day - The Old Horse, Lecicester LE2 1NE (time TBA)
- Ashdown Forest MM : St George's Day - Queen's Arms, Cowden Pound, 7:30pm
- Brackley Morris Men : St George's Day - The ‘Stratton Arms’ at Turweston. 2:00pm. Mumming Play plus possible dancing afterwards; Dancing with Rose & Castle Morris at Stoke Bruerne from 7:00p.m.
- Chalice MM : St George's Day - Woolpack Inn, St Georges, BS22 7XE, 7:45pm
- Chipping Campden MM : St George's Day - Noel Arms, Chipping Campden, 3:30pm
- East Surrey MM : St George's Day - The Market, High Street, Sutton, 1:00pm and 2:00pm
- Greensleeves MM : St George's Day - The London St George’s Festival, Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens, SE1 5HY
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : St George's Day - The village of Lower Brailes, to dance at the Church of St George and The George Hotel with guest sides from 7:00pm. Red roses to be worn.
- Leominster MM : St George's Day - The Boot, Orleton SY8 4HN, 7:00pm
- Mayflower MM : 25th April - St George and The Dragon Mummers Play, Billericay High Street (corner with Edith's Lane), 11:00am & 11:45am; Chelmsford Town Centre, 2:00pm & 2:45pm
- Mossley MM : St George's Day - Mossley Market Place, 8:00pm
- Northampton MM : St George's Day - The Boat, St Bruerne NN12 7SB, from 7:00 pm as guests of Rose and Castle MM
- Rose & Castle Morris Men : St George's Day - The Boat, St Bruerne NN12 7SB, from 7:30 pm with guest sides
- Rutland MM : St George's Day - St George’s Sq/Stamford Arts Centre 11:00am; Green Dragon, Ryhall, 12:30pm; George & Dragon, Seaton 2pm
Shakespeare MM : St George's Day - Shakespeares Birthday Celebrations in Stratford-upon-Avon, 9:45am - 4:00pm; The George Hotel, Brailes OX15 5HN, 7:30pm with Mummers
- Spring Grove MM : St George's Day - Weybridge St George's Day Beer Festival, Weybridge Vandals Rugby Cricket and Netball Club, Brownacres, Walton Ln, Walton-on-Thames, Surrey KT12 1QP - 2 spots during the afternoon;The George & Dragon, High St, Thames Ditton, Surrey, KT7 0RY, 8:00pm - 10:00pm
- Yateley MM : St George's Day - guests at Hook Eagle Morris Men's 25th Birthday & St George's Day celebrations - massed dancing in Odiham at the Bury and The Bell Inn moving on to The George, 11:30am -2:30pm, then touring. <Full Details>
The links given below will take you to more detailed desciptions of some of the other seasonal events.
|Events Home||January||Easter||May Day||Whitsun||Summer||Christmas|