This is the time-of-year for many Guisers and Mumming Plays. Tracking the many performances is difficult! Two recommended ways are to look for past folk play performances, or search the Master Mummers performance index.
November, December, Christmas
- Greensleeves MM : 2nd Saturday in November. London - Dancing before and after the Lord Mayor's procession - see their website for details of times & locations.
- East Suffolk MM : Last Saturday before Christmas. Dancing in Ipswich, starting at the Salutation at 11am. Their annual "Border" tour - as it's been held for over 35 years it qualifies as traditional!
- Kennet MM : Last Monday before Christmas. Kennet Karols from 8.30pm 'til late, The Bell and Bottle, Shinfield Green RG2 9EE - 50 traditional carols led by The Kennettes - festive hats optional.
- Lord Conyers MM : Last Saturday before Christmas. from 1.30 pm, performing dances from their Border and Pershore repertoire, their own Yorkshire Longsword and Rapper dances before singing local Sheffield carols inside at Wales Jubilee Sports and Social Club, S26 5QG,and then moving to the site of Robin Hood's Trysting Tree in Todwick to perform the Abbotts Bromley Horn Dance at dusk (4:00pm approx)..
- Original Welsh Border Morris : Last Saturday before Christmas. Coach Tour of Worcestershire - Fox Inn, Wichenford, WR2 6NX arrive 8:00am depart 9:00am; White Ladies Aston arrive 9:30am depart 1015am; Pershore arrive 10:30am depart 11:45am; Upton-upon-Severn arrive 12:15pm depart 1:30pm; Worcester arrive 2:00pm depart 3:25pm Fox Inn; Wichenford arrive 4:00pm - All timings very approximate!
- Taunton Deane MM : Last Saturday before Christmas - Border Day - Walking Tour of Taunton Town Centre 11:00am onwards.ding-dong-merrily.mp3
Note that Boxing Day and St Stephen's day are not always the same day! With Christmas Day being a Sunday, then modern practice has a bank holiday on the Monday and the Tuesday, and is sometimes called Boxing Day. St Stephen's Day - December 26th - is always the day after Christmas Day. You are advised to check the relevant website to confirm the date for all the events listed for Boxing Day, though it seems all this year are preferring the Monday.
Boxing Day - St Stephen's Day - 26th December
- Ashdown Forest MM : 1:00pm, The Hatch Inn, Colemans Hatch, TN7 4EJ
- Bedford MM : 10.45am Bedford Embankment - dancing; 11:30 am, Bedford Swan Hotel - dancing followed by the Boar’s Head Ceremony 12:00 noon
- Blackheath MM : 12:30pm, Princess of Wales on Blackheath; 1:30pm, The Crown, Blackheath Village; 3:00pm, The Hare & Billet, Blackheath.
- Brackley MM : 11:00am The Stratton Arms, Turweston; 12:00 noon The Market Square / Red Lion Brackley; 1:00 pm The Blackbird Croughton
- Bristol MM : Keynsham Mummers Play - 11.00 am, St John's church Keynsham; 11.30 am Keynsham Library Riverside,Temple Street (Opposite Keynsham Leisure CentreThe New Inn, 12:00 noon. [The picture on the right shows Keynsham's St George].
- Cam Valley MM : Dancing in Priddy 10:30am outside the Queen Vic, then on Priddy Green and outside the Hunters Lodge.
- Chanctonbury Ring MM : 11:00am, The Marquis (of Granby,) Sompting BN15 0AP dancing Cotswold followed by the Steyning Tipteerers mummers play. 12:30pm Frankland Arms , Washington RH20 4AL both dance and play repeated, followed by carols in the pub bar.
- Colchester MM : 12:30pm The Chequers, Great Tey for mulled wine, mince pies ... and morris
- Coventry MM : 12:00 noon, Kenilworth Castle
- Dartington MM : 12:00 noon, Totnes (the Plains) After we plan to visit the King William IV just up the road in Fore St for some music and song.
- Datchet Border Morris : 10:40am, Datchet Green, SL3 9EH, including The Mummers Play and Sword dance (longsword or rapper and after in The Red Stag)
- East Suffolk MM : 12:00 noon, The Sailing Club, Pin Mill, Ipswich IP9 1JP
- Ewell St. Mary's MM : 12:00 noon, The Famous Green Man; 12:30pm, opposite The Star; 1:00 pm, The Watch House, Church Street; 1:30pm, The Spring Tavern; 2:00pm, The Wheatsheaf, followed by the traditional mid-winter mummers’ play in the yard of the Upper Mill.
- Flamborough Sword Dancer : Flamborough, Yorkshire (or is it Humberside?) starting at the Rose & Crown in the High Street and ending at the Royal Dog & Duck. The Dancers are also supporting the relatively new charity fundraiser, the Flamborough Boxing Day Dip so you can catch them before their regular tour, at South Landing from 10.45am with the Dip at 11:00am.
- Gloucestershire MM : 9:30am The Queens Hotel, Cheltenham; 10:30am Imperial Gardens, Cheltenham; 12:00 noon Gloucester Cathedral; The Gloucester Mummers Play will be performed at the Cathedral in between the Traditional Morris Dancing. We'll be dancing alongside Englands Glory Morris, Lassington Oak Morris Men and Happenstance Border Morris.
- Green Man's Morris of Birmingham: The Fox and Hounds, Shenstone, Staffs 12.00 noon, Lichfield tradition dances, Sword dancing and Mummers.
- Greensleeves MM : Opposite the Rose and Crown, Wimbledon Village SW19 5BA,12.15pm; The Hand in Hand and The Crooked Billet, Wimbledon Common SW19 4RQ, 1.15pm.
- Grimsby MM : 12:00 noon The Wellow, King's Road, Cleethorpes; 12:45 pm Willy's Pub/Brighton Slipway, Cleethorpes; 1:30 pm The Punchbowl, North Promenade, Cleethorpes; 2:15 pm The No. 2 Refreshment Room (Under the Clock), Cleethorpes Railway Station; 3:00 The Nottingham House Hotel , Seaview Street, Cleethorpes The final dance spot will be followed by a singing and music session in the No.1.
- Handsworth Traditional Sword Dancers : 11:15am at Market Square, Woodhouse, S13 7JX. (Next to Cross Street); 12:00pm at Handsworth in front of St. Mary's Church, S13 9BZ.
- Harthill MM : 11:00 am – 12:00,The Bluebell, 4 Woodall Ln, Harthill, S26 7YQ; 12:00 noon - 1.00pm, The Beehive, Harthill, 16 Union St, Harthill, S26 7YH. With Three Shires Ladies Clog and Garland Dancers
- Hartley MM :12.00 noon,The Black Horse, Stansted TN15 7PR; 1.15pm The Rose and Crown, Wrotham TN15 7AE - We will be dancing and performing the Firle Mummers Play.
- Headington Quarry Morris Dancers : Their traditional Mummers Play with Rapper Sword Dancing and Bell Ringing at the following public houses within the Quarry Parish: 11:15am Crown & Thistle, 12:15pm Six Bells,1:00pm Chequers and 1:45pm Masons Arms
- The Traditional Ilmington MM : The side perform the traditional village Mummers play on tour starting in Shipston-on-Stour, traditionally visiting the sheltered homes for the elderly, then continuing to The Howard Arms,Ilmington at 1:00pm and The Red Lion, Ilmington, at 2:00pm (timings may vary).
- Kemp's Men of Norwich : 12:00 noon,The Banningham Crown, Banningham NR1 7DY - dancing and Mummers' Play
- King John's MM : from 12:00 noon, The Vine Inn, High Street, Old Bursledon SO31 8DJ - Border Morris and Mummers’ Play
- Lassington Oak MM : 12.00 pm - Gloucester Cathedral, 1.00 pm The Fountain Inn, Gloucester (see Gloucester MM above)
- Leicester MM : 12:00 noon - The Griffin Inn, Swithland LE12 8TJ
- Leominster Morris : circa 12:00 noon - Mummers Play & dancing at The Barrels, Hereford
- Long Man MM : 10:00am, The Bandstand, Eastbourne Seafront
- Manchester MM : from 12.00 noon dancing outside The Fox public house, Brookbottom, near New Mills SK22 3AY, followed by carols inside.
- Mendip MM : 12:00 noon, The Plough Inn, Wrington; 1.00pm.The Plough Inn, Congresbury
- Mersey MM : from 11:00am, Boxing Day Revels, Willaston
- Moulton MM : 11:00am to Noon on Stocks Hill, Moulton, Northamptonshire. Local Mummers Play and Morris Dancing.
- North Wood MM : 12.45pm, The Harrow Inn 309 Farleigh Road, Warlingham,CR6 9EL
- Peterborough MM : 11:00am Peterborough city centre, then 1.00pm at The Blue Boar, Eye PE6 7UY
- Plymouth MM : 12:00 noon at the Morley Arms, PL9 7HP with Guests The Plymouth Maids
- Ravensbourne MM : 12:30pm - 1:30 The Greyhound, Commonside Keston BR2 6BP
- Redcar Sword Dancers : 12.00 noon at Greatham, Hospital Gates, near Hartlepool, Co Durham, Sword Dance and Play. A unique event, this could be the only example of a longsword dance and it's play still being performed together.
- Ripley MM : 11:00am, Ripley Market Place;12.00 noon The Moulders Arms (Thack) at Riddings at and at The Holly Bush, Marehay at 1.00pm.
- Rutland MM : 10:30am, Horse & Jockey, Manton;12:00 noon, Uppingham Market Square; 1:00pm, Crown, Uppingham
- Silurian MM : Annual Tour starting11:00 at Ledbury Town Hall, then moving onwards to British Camp, the Morgan in Malvern, and The Three Kings at Hanley castle
- Southport Swords : 12:45pm Hesketh Arms, Churchtown; 1:45pm Bold Hotel, Churchtown; 2:45 The Guest House, Union St Southport
- Spen Valley Longsword Dancers : traditional tour of some of the pubs in Spen Valley to perform the dances and to sing a few songs; 1:00pm, Wickham Arms, Cleckheaton; 2:00pm, Spen Victoria Cricket Club, Spen Lane, Gomersal
- Thames Valley MM : 11.30 am Platform 3 (in The Parade, KT10 0PB); 12.15 pm The Foley (Hare Lane, KT10 0LZ);1.00 pm, The Hare & Hounds (The Green, KT10 0JL); 1.45 pm The Winning Horse (Coverts Road, KT10 0JY)
The Griffin (Common Road, KT10 0HW) - from 2.15 p.m.
- Thaxted MM : 11:00am, Church Hall, including country dancing for all;12:00 noon, dancing in the Churchyard.
- Towersey Morris : Dancing at 12:00 noon,Three Horseshoes, Towersey; Mummers play at 1.00pm
- Wantage Mummers: 10:00am - 10:30 Faringdon Market Place, Faringdon Oxfordshire SN7 7HP; 12:00 noon - 12:30 The Bear Hotel, Wantage Oxfordshire; Childrey Village Hall, High Street, Childrey OX12 9UE There is always a session in Childrey after the last performance. Although the pub in Childrey has now closed the villagers are determined to do all they can to keep up the tradition, albeit in the village hall.
- Wantsum MM : 11:00am, Birchington, 12:00 noon St Nicholas at Wade, 1:00 The Gate Inn Marshside, 2:00 The Old Cherry Brandy House Sarre
- Wath-on-Dearne MM : 10.15am Wath Town Centre; 11:00am Post Office Wentworth; 11:45am Rockingham Arms, W/worth;12:40pm Procession along High Street; 1.00pm George & Dragon W/worth; 2:45 pm The Manvers Arms, Adwick
- Wessex MM : 12:00 noon, Mumming and Morris in Cerne Abbas Village Square DT2 7JG
- Winchester MM : 11:00am, The Buttercross, High Street, Winchester SO23 9BL (and other venues to be confirmed)
- Woodchurch MM : The annual Boxing Day Wassail in Woodchurch, Kent. This involves visiting various houses who welcome us with festive hot drinks and mince pies. Later the side will finish the day off at ‘The Six bells’ or Bonnie Cravat public houses in the village.
- Woodside MM : 12:30pm, The Cricketers, Sarratt Green,WD3 6AS with guests Wicket Brood and Whitethorne
- Yateley MM : 12:00 noon, Frog & Wicket at Eversley RG40 4LS; 1:00pm Dog & Partridge in Yateley GU46 7LR
Bank Holiday Tuesday 27th December
- Saddleworth MM : The Annual Lordsmere Longsword finale - 1:00pm, The Wellington; 2:00pm, The Swan (Dobcross); 3:00pm, The Navigation, 4:00pm, Hare and Hounds; 5:00pm, The Commercial; 7:00pm: Cross Keys; 8:00pm, Church Inn ('til late)
The links given below will take you to more detailed desciptions of some of the other seasonal events.
|Events Home||January||Easter||St. George's Day||May Day||Whitsun||Summer|